Want to get married in Maine? We can help!
The Steps along the way...
- If either of you are a resident of Maine, you must file in your town of residence.
- If you are both from out-of-state, you may file in any town (but we recommend the town you are getting married in, to help you remember later).
- Once you have your license, you are free to marry anywhere in the state.
- Both parties need to come into the Town Office with photo ID, and file Intentions of Marriage. The cost of filing is $40. Please come in at least 30 minutes before closing, to allow time for the necessary paperwork.
- Previous Marriages: If either party has been previously married, a certified copy of the death record or divorce decree must be presented to the clerk.
- Once the Marriage Intentions are filed, the clerk will issue a Marriage License, which will need to be signed, in person, by both the bride and groom. The license is valid for 90 days from the date the intentions are filed.
- The Marriage License needs to be completed by an officiant, legally qualified to perform a marriage in Maine, and signed by two witnesses.
- The officiant is required to file the license within 7 working days of the ceremony, with the clerk where the license was issued.
- After the Marriage License is filed with the Town Clerk a certified copy(s) may be obtained at the Town Office, during normal business hours, for a fee of $15.00 for the first copy and $6.00 for any additional copies, done at that same time.