Town Services

BMV Registrations

We can register your new or used car, truck, trailer, motorcycle, camper, tractor, tanker, and other commercial and heavy vehicles. For re-registrations, bring your old registration and insurance card; for new registrations, you will also need the bill of sale (find a blank version here) and previous title.

IFW Registrations

The Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife governs most of Maine's licensed outdoor activities, like ATV, snowmobile, and boat registrations or hunting, fishing, and trapping licenses. IFW has web portals for most registrations, which can be used by both Maine residents and visitors. For first-time registrations, Maine residents will need a signed bill of sale with the vehicle's serial number.

China Transfer Station

Palermo contracts with the Town of China for use of its transfer station. All Palermo property owners are allowed transfer station access with an RFID Tag, which can be obtained at the Palermo Town Office. Additional tags are available for a $10 deposit.

Palermo residents must use approved trash bags at the China Transfer Station. These bags are available at the Palermo Town Office and Tobey's General Store on Rt. 3. See the Transfer Station page for hours & more.

Births, Deaths, Marriages

The Town Office can issue marriage licenses and supply certified copies of vital records like births and deaths. Many vital records can also be obtained through the Vital Records website or the Vitalcheck service. Please allow at least a half hour for a certified copy at the Town Office.

 To obtain a copy of a vital record, you will need to provide proof of identity and fill out an application indicating your relationship to the person on record, proving "direct and legitimate interest."

You must make an appointment to apply for a Marriage License. Once received, a Marriage License is valid for 90 days. See the Marriage License page for step by step instructions.

Voter Registration

We're delighted you want to exercise your inalienable right to vote in Palermo. To register, you will need a government issued ID and proof of residency in town.

Learn more about voting rights and eligibility in Maine here.

Dog Licensing

The State of Maine requires that all dogs be licensed after six months of age. Licensing fees pay for local Animal Control, investigation and enforcement of animal cruelty laws, care for injured or sick animals, and to help reunite lost dogs with their owners. Proof of a current rabies vaccination is required.

Spayed or neutered dog licenses are $6 annually, or $11 otherwise. Licenses expire on January 31 and the state-mandated late fee of $25 goes into effect February 1. You can renew your dog license online between October 15 - January 31. Owners of unlicensed dogs may be fined $100 per animal

See more on the Dog Licensing subpage.

Burn Permits

Burn permits are free through the Maine Forest Service or Warden's Report.

Weekday burns are allowed from 5pm - midnight; Weekend burns may start at 9am. 

All outdoor fires in Palermo require a permit, issued day of the burn and dependent on wind and weather conditions, as well as other factors.

General Assistance

General Assistance helps individuals and families to meet their basic needs. The Palermo program is administered under State of Maine Department of Health and Human Services guidelines. You may be eligible for support if you do not have the income or resources to meet your own basic needs. Please see the General Assistance subpage for an application and more information.

Sand Shed

The Town of Palermo contracts sand for use by residents at the Sand Shed located just past Nelson Lane on the North Palermo road. 

Residents are permitted two five-gallon buckets of sand per winter storm and are advised to bring their own buckets and shovel. 

Please be thoughtful & respectful of your neighbors when using our shared resource.

Notaries Public

All of our clerks are commissioned Notaries Public and notary services are available to Palermo residents at no charge. Out of town visitors will be charged $10.

Some of the documents we typically notarize include the RSU #12 residency affidavit, Sole Proprietorship Certificates, Voter Residency cards, and other legal instruments.