ATV / Snowmobiling 

Palermo has long been a destination for those who love the outdoors, and we have resident clubs that manage trails and group rides. You can find more information about the Friends & Neighbors ATV Club and the Palermo Snowmobile Club on our Community page, or by clicking on their badges below.

Please be advised that all re-registrations require your old registration to be processed correctly. Clerks are following new state guidelines and will not be able to re-register vehicles without this information.

Find more information at the Department of Inland Fisheries & Wildlife website.

ATV and Snowmobile licenses are valid from July 1 through June 30.

Do you have an antique snowmobile that you want to register? Antiques are subject to different registration rules and must be processed by the main IFW office in Augusta. You will need an special form, which can be found here.

New Registrations

Maine residents MUST register new vehicles at the Town Office or at the IFW office, 284 State St Augusta.

Please bring the original bill of sale with the following information: vehicle's serial number, year, manufacturer, model; date of purchase and total paid; seller's name and address and signature, and buyer's name and address and signature.

Out of state visitors may register new vehicles at the IFW web portal.


All renewals can be done at the Town Office or through the IFW web portal

Renewals require your old registration information to be processed correctly.

Where does your ATV Registration money go?

The Maine Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife for safety education, law enforcement, the state’s landowner relations program, and administrative processing of registrations; and the Off-road Recreational Vehicle Office of the Maine Department of Agriculture, Conservation and Forestry (ACF)’s Bureau of Parks and Lands, which is charged with establishing a statewide trail network, providing development and maintenance grants to clubs and municipalities, conducting landowner relations, and coordinating and supporting ATV clubs. For every ATV registration purchased, over 58% of that money goes toward the trail maintenance fund. For example, $26.42 of a resident annual ATV registration (which costs $45) goes directly into the trail maintenance fund. 

ATV Fees

Snowmobile Fees

Where does your Snowmobile Registration money go?

Much of the registration money goes to the Snowmobile Trail Fund of the Department of Conservation, Bureau of Parks and Lands where it is distributed through grants to snowmobile clubs, towns, etc. to develop, construct and maintain snowmobile trails and assist with the purchase of grooming equipment; a portion is credited to the Department of Inland Fisheries & Wildlife for snowmobile enforcement and related expenses, some goes to the state's general fund and, in the case of Maine residents, a percentage is distributed to their municipality. In a number of cases, the municipalities will return those funds to the local snowmobile club to assist with their trail activities. 

Copied from the Maine Snowmobile Association